Menu
high-rise buildings
Tulsi Gabbard

Tulsi Gabbard's Quiet Exit: How a War Skeptic Lost Trump's Inner Circle

Trending • 1 hour ago7 min read

T

Updated May 24, 2026

The letter that ended Tulsi Gabbard's tenure as the nation's top intelligence official arrived in the West Wing on Friday afternoon, May 22, and was striking for what it did not say. There was no mention of the wars she had warned against, no reference to the meetings she had been excluded from, no allusion to the public humiliation she absorbed when the president called her, by name, wrong. Instead, the Director of National Intelligence wrote about her husband, Abraham Williams, and an extremely rare form of bone cancer that, she said, would now consume her every hour.

By the time President Trump confirmed the departure on Truth Social, calling her work "incredible" and adding that "we will miss her," the Washington whisper network had already settled on a different story. Gabbard, the former Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii who had once seemed an improbable but devoted member of Trump's second-term cabinet, was leaving an office she had not really been allowed to run for months.

A resignation, and a parallel narrative

In her resignation letter, Gabbard struck a personal and elegiac tone. "My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer," she wrote. "He faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months." She continued: "I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming position." Her last day on the job will be June 30.

The White House moved quickly to lock down the narrative. Spokesman Davis Ingle, asked about reporting that the administration had pushed her out, responded sharply. "Any suggestion that the White House forced her to resign over her husband's health is slanderous," he said. Few inside the intelligence community appeared to buy the clean version of events. According to reporting in The Washington Post, CNN, and an op-ed in The Guardian by New York University journalism professor Mohamad Bazzi, Gabbard had already been functionally removed from the most consequential decisions her office was supposed to inform.

The Mar-a-Lago meeting she was not at

The clearest illustration came on New Year's Day, when Trump's national security team gathered at Mar-a-Lago to monitor a US military operation in Venezuela aimed at toppling Nicolas Maduro. The Director of National Intelligence, by tradition and by statute, would be expected in the room. Gabbard was not. She was in Hawaii, posting beach photographs to social media. Administration officials told reporters she had been left out in part because of her long record opposing US regime change operations, a record that had once endeared her to Trump's anti-interventionist base and now made her a liability to his war planners.

The pattern repeated and hardened. By late February, when Trump launched a joint US and Israeli military campaign against Iran, Gabbard was largely absent from White House strategy sessions and missing from most of the administration's classified briefings to Congress on the conflict. Bazzi, writing in The Guardian, argued that her "resistance to foreign wars amid Trump's aggression was her undoing." The aggression escalated. Her access shrank in proportion.

The Iran intelligence break

If there was a single moment that defined her isolation, it came in front of a microphone in March. Testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Gabbard delivered the official assessment of the US intelligence community. "Iran is not building a nuclear weapon," she said in her written submission, adding that Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei "has not authorized the nuclear weapons program that he suspended in 2003." She did not read that portion aloud during the televised hearing, a detail that did not save her.

The president, who was already publicly arguing that Iran was "two weeks away" from a bomb, dismissed his own intelligence chief without ceremony. Asked aboard Air Force One about the assessment, Trump responded, "Well then, my intelligence community is wrong." Told the assessment came from Gabbard, he answered simply, "She's wrong." Within weeks she had revised her position, writing that the United States had intelligence Iran could "produce a nuclear weapon within weeks to months" if it chose to finalize assembly. The reversal earned her no readmission to the war cabinet.

What she did instead

Locked out of the foreign policy core, Gabbard turned inward, toward the grievances that had long animated the president himself. She launched a sweeping review of what she described as a "treasonous conspiracy" by former President Barack Obama and senior Obama-era national security officials related to the 2016 Russian election interference investigation. She made a personal appearance at a federal raid on a Georgia election facility, an episode that drew sharp criticism from Senate Intelligence Committee Vice Chairman Mark Warner. "When the nation's top intelligence official inserts herself into a matter with no connection to a foreign threat," Warner said, "it's hard to escape the conclusion that the objective was political."

Senator Jon Ossoff, the Georgia Democrat, was blunter during one of her appearances on Capitol Hill, accusing her of "evading a question because a candid statement would contradict the White House." These were not, by any measure, the duties of an empowered DNI. They were the assignments of an official trying to remain useful to a president who had moved on.

A successor from the shadows

Trump named Aaron Lukas, currently the Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence, to take over in an acting capacity. Lukas, a 20-year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency, is in many ways Gabbard's opposite, a career operations officer who spent much of his life undercover, including a stint as station chief in a former Soviet republic. He served as an intelligence aide to Richard Grenell during Grenell's brief turn as acting DNI in 2020 and worked on Europe and Russia issues at the National Security Council before being confirmed as principal deputy in 2025.

Trump described Lukas as "highly respected" but stopped short of nominating him, or anyone else, to fill the role permanently. The decision to leave the post in acting hands spares the White House a confirmation fight as the midterm election calendar tightens and Senate recesses loom. It also leaves the question of who, in the long term, will set priorities for the 18 agencies that make up the US intelligence community unsettled at a moment when the country is actively at war on two fronts.

The fourth woman out

Gabbard is the fourth cabinet-level official to leave Trump's second-term administration. All four have been women. Her departure removes one of the few remaining voices inside the administration with an instinctive aversion to military escalation, a stance she carried into the cabinet from her years as an Iraq war veteran and a Democratic primary candidate who had built her national profile largely around opposition to what she called "regime change wars."

What comes next is harder to predict than the political obituaries suggest. Gabbard will spend the summer caring for her husband. Lukas will inherit a community that has watched its director publicly contradicted and quietly excluded, and will need to decide how candidly to deliver assessments the president does not want to hear. The wars in Iran and Venezuela will continue without the war skeptic in the room. And the next nominee, when one comes, will arrive in a Senate that has just watched what happens to an intelligence chief who insists on saying what the evidence shows.

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!