Trump Rule Forces Green Card Applicants to Leave U.S. to Apply
Trending • 52 minutes ago • 8 min read
Updated May 24, 2026
For more than five decades, a foreign national living legally in the United States on a student, work or family visa could apply to become a lawful permanent resident without ever leaving the country. That long-standing pathway, known as adjustment of status, is now being narrowed dramatically.
In a policy memorandum issued late last week, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services said it will grant adjustment of status only in “extraordinary circumstances,” pushing most green card seekers to return to their home countries and complete the process through a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. The agency framed the change as a return to the “original intent” of immigration law, but lawyers, employers and family members describe it as one of the most consequential legal-immigration shifts in a generation.
The practical effect, immigration attorneys say, could fall on hundreds of thousands of people each year: spouses of U.S. citizens awaiting their interviews, doctors completing residency on work visas, graduate students moving from F-1 status to employment-based green cards, and asylees and refugees seeking permanent status. Roughly 600,000 people apply from inside the United States each year to become permanent residents, according to figures cited by the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
What changes under the new rule
The memo, issued by USCIS on May 22, instructs adjudicators to treat adjustment of status as a discretionary benefit reserved for narrow cases rather than the default route to a green card. Applicants who do not qualify under the new “extraordinary circumstances” standard will instead be directed to consular processing through the U.S. Department of State, meaning they must travel abroad, attend an interview at an American embassy, and wait for their immigrant visa to be approved before re-entering the country.
“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a green card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” USCIS spokesman Zach Kahler said in a statement.
The agency offered a rationale rooted in visa categories. “Nonimmigrants, like students, temporary workers, or people on tourist visas, come to the U.S. for a short time and for a specific purpose,” USCIS said. “Their visit should not function as the first step in the green card process.”
What qualifies as “extraordinary” is left undefined. USCIS officers will make those determinations case by case, and the memo signals that applicants who can demonstrate clear “economic benefit” or service to the “national interest” are more likely to be allowed to remain in the United States during processing. The agency has not published an effective date, has not clarified whether pending applications will be governed by the old rules, and has not said whether applicants forced abroad must remain outside the country for the duration of consular review.
Who is affected
Immigration attorneys say the breadth of the policy is striking. The categories most directly implicated include:
- Spouses and immediate relatives of U.S. citizens filing Form I-485 alongside an I-130 family petition.
- F-1 international students moving from optional practical training to employment-based green cards.
- O-1 extraordinary-ability visa holders, including researchers, performers and athletes.
- L-1 intracompany transferees and their dependents.
- Religious workers on R-1 visas.
- Refugees, asylees and humanitarian parolees seeking to convert their status to permanent residency.
H-1B specialty-occupation workers, whose visa category permits “dual intent,” may fare somewhat better. Several immigration law firms analyzing the memo concluded that dual-intent visa holders are likely to be treated more leniently because federal regulations already contemplate that they will pursue permanent residency. Even so, attorneys caution that the discretionary language leaves H-1B applicants exposed if an officer decides their circumstances are not extraordinary.
The administration’s rationale
Senior Trump administration officials have for months argued that the United States grants too many green cards, and that legal immigration channels have been used as a backdoor for people who entered on short-term visas. The new memo formalizes that position, recasting adjustment of status as an exception rather than the rule.
“The goal of this policy is very explicit,” said Doug Rand, a former senior adviser at USCIS under the Biden administration. “Senior officials in this administration have said over and over that they want fewer people to get permanent residency.”
Supporters of the change argue it restores the traditional separation between temporary visas, which are issued for a specific purpose and duration, and immigrant visas, which confer permanent status. The memo aligns with a broader package of immigration restrictions the administration has rolled out in recent months, including expanded travel bans now affecting citizens of 39 countries and suspended immigrant visa processing in roughly 75 additional countries.
Legal challenges already brewing
Immigration lawyers say lawsuits are virtually certain. The American Immigration Lawyers Association called the memo a sweeping reversal of decades of administrative practice, arguing it exceeds the agency’s authority and conflicts with the Immigration and Nationality Act, which expressly authorizes adjustment of status inside the United States.
“USCIS is trying to upend decades of processing of adjustment of status,” said Shev Dalal-Dheini of AILA. “This all applies very broadly to anyone seeking a green card.”
Critics also point to a practical problem: many applicants cannot safely or legally return to their countries of origin. Asylees fled persecution. Some applicants come from countries where the U.S. has suspended visa services or has no functioning embassy. Citizens of countries on the administration’s travel ban list may be barred from re-entry after departing.
“If families are told that the non-citizen family member must return to his or her country of origin to process their immigrant visa, but immigrant visas are not being processed there, it’s a Catch-22,” the faith-based aid group World Relief said in a statement.
Michael Valverde, a former senior USCIS official, called the memo “a largely unprecedented move that will limit lawful immigration to the U.S. greatly.” He added: “People who followed the rules faithfully now face tremendous uncertainty.”
What it means for families
The most immediate human consequences will be felt by mixed-status families. Under the existing system, a U.S. citizen who marries a foreign spouse on a tourist or student visa can typically sponsor that spouse for a green card without separation. Under the new policy, that spouse may be required to leave the country for an indefinite period to attend a consular interview.
“The primary impact of this appears to be to make it difficult or impossible for very large numbers of U.S. citizens to get on with their lives with the people they’ve chosen to marry who came here legally,” Rand said.
The risk is not only emotional. A foreign national who has accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence and then departs the United States can trigger a three- or ten-year reentry bar, even if they qualified for a green card before leaving. Lawyers warn that some applicants pushed into consular processing could be stranded abroad for years.
What it means for U.S. employers and the tech industry
Corporate immigration teams are scrambling to assess the impact on workforce planning. Hospitals, universities and major technology employers rely heavily on the ability of foreign workers to transition seamlessly from temporary work visas to permanent residency without leaving the country and disrupting projects.
Tech companies that sponsor large numbers of H-1B and L-1 workers are watching the memo’s implementation closely. Although dual-intent categories may face fewer obstacles, employers fear that increased discretion will slow approvals and complicate relocation, particularly for spouses on dependent visas who must also adjust status.
Consular wait times add another layer of risk. At some U.S. embassies, immigrant visa appointments are already backed up more than a year. A surge of redirected applicants could lengthen those queues considerably.
“It’s really hard to tell how this is going to be applied,” said Jessie De Haven of the California Immigration Project. “I do think it might have a chilling effect on people applying.”
What happens next
USCIS has not announced when adjudicators will begin enforcing the memo, and the agency has not said whether the roughly half-million pending I-485 applications will be processed under the old framework or the new one. Legal filings challenging the policy are expected within weeks, and immigration practitioners are advising clients with active applications to consult an attorney before traveling internationally.
For now, hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals who built their lives in the United States while waiting their turn for a green card face a new and unfamiliar question: whether the country they hoped to call home will require them to leave it first.
Sources
This article was researched using the following sources to ensure accuracy and reliability:
- 1.Trump administration to force foreigners in the U.S. to apply for a green card abroad
- 2.U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Will Grant 'Adjustment of Status' Only in Extraordinary Circumstances
- 3.Trump administration to require most immigrants seeking green cards to leave the U.S. first
- 4.Foreigners in U.S. must apply for green cards abroad, new Trump administration rule says
- 5.New policy to force green card applicants to apply from abroad
- 6.New rule requires most green-card applicants to apply from outside U.S.