Menu
an overhead view of a construction site at night
Angeles City building collapse

Nine Story Building Collapses in Angeles City, 21 Missing

Trending • 4 minutes ago6 min read

T

Updated May 24, 2026

The thunderclap that woke residents of Balibago shortly before 3 a.m. on Sunday was not a thunderclap. It was the sound of a nine story concrete frame folding in on itself, an unfinished tower crashing down on a stretch of bars, hotels and convenience stores in one of the busiest entertainment districts in the northern Philippines. By daybreak, sniffer dogs were picking through the slabs, families were gathering at police cordons, and the search for at least 21 missing construction workers had become the country's most urgent rescue operation in years.

The collapse happened in Angeles City, a city of about 460,000 people in Pampanga province, roughly 80 kilometers north of Manila. Officials said 24 workers managed to scramble to safety or were pulled from the wreckage in the first hours after the building came down. Two more people were rescued from an adjoining apartment hotel that was crushed when the tower fell. A Malaysian tourist staying in that hotel later died of his injuries, the first confirmed fatality of the disaster.

A pre dawn roar in Balibago

Witnesses described a low rumble, then a sudden cascade of dust that rolled through the narrow streets of Balibago, the district that surrounds the construction site. The unfinished building, a nine story concrete structure, pancaked downward, its upper floors collapsing onto the lower ones and spilling sideways into a budget aparthotel where guests were asleep.

By sunrise, dozens of relatives had gathered behind yellow tape at the edge of the site, holding phones up to listen for ringtones somewhere in the rubble. Many of the missing are migrant workers from outlying provinces who had been sleeping inside the structure to save on rent, a common practice on Philippine construction sites.

Voices beneath the slabs

By mid morning, rescue teams said they had made contact with at least two people trapped deep inside the collapsed floors. Public Works Secretary Vinzon Dizon told reporters at the scene that responders were guardedly hopeful.

"There are some signs of life," Dizon said. "There are voices that are being heard."

City information officer Jay Pelayo said the challenge was no longer locating survivors but reaching them. "There are big chunks of concrete, and we need equipment to lift them up," Pelayo said. "That is what's challenging for the rescue right now."

More than 100 firefighters, soldiers, police and disaster response personnel were working in shifts, taking turns crawling into voids in the debris. Sniffer dogs and acoustic listening devices were being used to map the spaces between slabs, while heavy cranes inched in to lift the largest sections without triggering a secondary collapse.

What may have brought it down

The cause of the collapse remains under investigation, but local authorities pointed to the violent weather that lashed Angeles City on Saturday night as a possible trigger. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration recorded 44 millimeters of rainfall in the city in just one hour between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m., accompanied by strong winds.

Engineers cautioned that heavy rain alone rarely topples a properly built concrete frame. Investigators are expected to examine whether the structure's foundations were undermined by flooding, whether scaffolding or temporary supports failed, and whether the building was compliant with the national structural code. Pampanga sits in a seismically active zone close to the West Valley Fault, and questions about construction quality have shadowed the regional building boom for years.

Francis Pangilinan, who heads the Angeles City Disaster Mitigation Office, said building permits and inspection records for the project would be turned over to investigators within days. Brig. Gen. Jess Mendez of the police said a separate criminal review would begin once the site is stabilized.

A tourist district caught in the dust

Balibago is the commercial heart of Angeles City, packed with hotels, restaurants and bars that cater to Filipino visitors and foreign tourists, many of them former American servicemen drawn back by the legacy of the Clark Air Base just down the road. The presence of overseas guests in the aparthotel underscored how a construction failure had ripped through one of the country's most international neighborhoods.

Malaysia's foreign ministry, Wisma Putra, confirmed that two of its nationals had been affected. One, a 51 year old man staying at the damaged hotel, was rescued alive. The other, also a Malaysian citizen, did not survive. "We are coordinating with Philippine authorities to assist the families," the ministry said in a brief statement.

A familiar pattern of disaster

The collapse is the latest in a string of construction site failures that have raised concerns about safety standards in a country in the middle of a sustained building boom. Pampanga and the surrounding Central Luzon region have seen rapid vertical growth fueled by gaming, business process outsourcing and tourism investment around the former Clark base.

Labor groups have repeatedly warned that crews on these projects, often paid by the day, work long hours in informal conditions and frequently sleep on site without proper shelter. Sunday's collapse appeared to have caught dozens of those workers during shift change, when one team was preparing to start work and another was still resting inside the structure.

The hours that matter most

Rescue specialists describe the first 72 hours after a structural collapse as the window in which survival is most likely, and as Sunday wore on, that clock was ticking loudly over Balibago. Floodlights were being trucked in for night operations. A field hospital had been set up on the edge of the site, and a registration desk for relatives was logging names and photographs of the missing.

President Bongbong Marcos's office said the national disaster agency had been ordered to provide "full support" to local responders and to families. International offers of assistance from neighboring countries were being assessed.

For now, the focus remains on the voices in the rubble. Every few hours, rescuers call for silence across the site. The cranes pause. The dogs stop. The crowd behind the cordon holds its breath. Then the work begins again, slab by slab, in the hope that some of the 21 names on the list will still be there to answer.

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!