Menu
Rescue workers are inspecting train tracks at night.
Quetta train bombing

Quetta Train Bombing Kills 24 as Baloch Separatists Escalate

Trending • 1 hour ago7 min read

T

Updated May 24, 2026

A suicide car bomb slammed into a shuttle train on the outskirts of Quetta on Sunday morning, killing at least 24 people and wounding around 70 in one of the deadliest attacks on Pakistan's rail network in years. The blast struck just after 8 a.m. local time near the Faquir Abad neighborhood, derailing the engine and three coaches and flipping two carriages onto their sides as flames swept through the wreckage.

The train, a short shuttle service that ferries passengers from Quetta's military cantonment to connect with the long distance Jaffar Express, had only just pulled away from the city when an explosives laden vehicle rammed one of its bogies. Witnesses described a fireball that shattered windows in adjacent homes, set parked cars alight and sent gas cylinders bursting in the queue at a nearby filling station. By mid morning, hospitals across the provincial capital had declared a state of emergency, recalling off duty doctors and clearing wards for the surge of casualties.

The Balochistan Liberation Army, the most lethal of the province's separatist groups, claimed responsibility within hours through its Majeed Brigade, the unit it reserves for what it calls fidayee, or self sacrificing, operations. A BLA spokesperson, Jeeyand Baloch, said the bomber had specifically targeted security personnel travelling from the cantonment, although officials and survivors said the dead included women and children riding in civilian carriages.

A Routine Morning Run Turned Inferno

The shuttle is a familiar sight in Quetta, a low cost connector that picks up soldiers, railway workers and ordinary commuters from the cantonment and runs them out to junctions where they can transfer to express services bound for Peshawar, Rawalpindi and points north. On Sunday, many on board were army families heading home for the Eid al Adha holiday, hoping to make it onto a Jaffar Express departure later in the day.

Residents along the line said the blast was so powerful it rattled houses several streets away. Mud brick walls collapsed onto sleeping children. A row of single storey shops facing the track lost their fronts entirely. Rescue crews from Edhi and the provincial disaster management authority pulled bodies from twisted carriages for hours, working around live electrical lines and the threat of secondary explosions.

Federal Railways Minister Hanif Abbasi confirmed the structural damage to the train and ordered an immediate halt to all rail traffic on the Quetta line pending a security review. Service on the Jaffar Express, restored only last year after a previous attack shut it down, was suspended indefinitely.

The Majeed Brigade's Signature

The Majeed Brigade has become the calling card of an insurgency that has grown sharper and more sophisticated since 2024. Named after a Baloch militant killed in the 1970s, the unit specializes in suicide bombings and high profile assaults on what it portrays as symbols of the Pakistani state and the China backed projects threading through Balochistan. Its operatives have struck military convoys, Chinese engineers working on the China Pakistan Economic Corridor and, repeatedly, the railway.

Sunday's attack follows a pattern that has unnerved security planners in Islamabad. In March 2025, BLA fighters hijacked the Jaffar Express deep in a mountain tunnel south of Quetta, taking hundreds of passengers hostage in a siege that ended with 21 captives, four soldiers and all 33 attackers dead. In February of this year, coordinated assaults across the province killed 33 people in a single day. A 40 hour clearance operation that followed left 145 militants dead, according to Pakistani military figures, a toll critics in the province dispute.

Islamabad's Furious Response

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the bombing in a statement issued from Islamabad, calling it a cowardly act of terrorism. "Such cowardly acts of terrorism cannot weaken the resolve of the people of Pakistan," he wrote on X, offering condolences to the families of the dead and pledging that the government would stand with the people of Balochistan.

Balochistan's chief minister, Sarfraz Bugti, struck a far harder tone. In a post laced with the language of total war, he blamed what he called "the terrorists of Fitna al Hindustan," a phrase Pakistani officials have increasingly used to allege Indian sponsorship of the insurgency. "Let the enemy hear this," Bugti wrote. "There will be no safe haven left for terrorists in Balochistan. We will hunt down the terrorists, their facilitators and their masterminds one by one and bring them to justice, and this war will continue until the last terrorist is eliminated."

India has consistently rejected such accusations. The BLA itself, designated a foreign terrorist organization by the United States in 2019, draws its leadership from exiled Baloch nationalists, several of whom Pakistani officials say operate from Afghan soil. Kabul denies harboring them.

Why Balochistan Keeps Burning

Balochistan covers nearly half of Pakistan's territory and almost none of its prosperity. The province sits on vast reserves of copper, gold and natural gas, and hosts the deep water port of Gwadar that anchors Beijing's flagship infrastructure project in South Asia. Yet its roughly 15 million residents endure the country's worst poverty, lowest literacy and thinnest health care. Baloch nationalists have waged five insurgencies against the central state since 1948, each rooted in the grievance that the province's wealth flows out while its people are left behind.

The current rebellion, the longest and most violent, has hardened since the killing of nationalist leader Akbar Bugti in a 2006 military operation. What was once a rural guerrilla campaign now reaches into Quetta itself, with female suicide bombers, drone improvisation and choreographed multi target assaults. Human rights groups report a parallel campaign of enforced disappearances by Pakistani security agencies, with thousands of Baloch men still missing. Activists led by the Baloch Yakjehti Committee have brought that grievance into the streets, fuelling a cycle in which each side accuses the other of widening the war.

A Rail Line as Battleground

The railway, once a symbol of colonial era engineering connecting the Arabian Sea to the Khyber Pass, has become a recurring battleground. Tracks running through the Bolan Pass and along the Iranian frontier are bombed so often that maintenance crews travel under armed escort. Passengers in the province routinely sit through hours long delays as engineers inspect culverts for explosives. Each successful strike on the line carries an outsized psychological weight, severing one of the few visible threads binding Balochistan to the rest of the country.

For ordinary commuters in Quetta, that thread now feels thinner than ever. Outside Sandeman Provincial Hospital on Sunday afternoon, families gathered to identify the dead under a hot wind blowing off the Chaghai hills. Volunteers handed out water and lists of the wounded. A railway worker who escaped the front carriage told reporters he had taken the same shuttle for nine years. He was not sure, he said, that he would ever board it again.

What Comes Next

Federal authorities have promised a full forensic investigation and additional paramilitary deployments along the Quetta corridor. Past pledges of the same kind have done little to slow the BLA's tempo. Security analysts in Islamabad expect retaliatory air strikes on suspected militant hideouts in the bordering districts of Awaran and Mastung, and possibly across the Afghan frontier, a step that risks further straining relations with the Taliban government in Kabul.

The deeper question, raised again on Sunday by editorial writers in Karachi and Lahore, is whether security operations alone can ever close the gap between Balochistan and the rest of Pakistan. Until the province's young people see a future in their own land, the rail line through Quetta is likely to remain what it has been for nearly two decades, a slow moving target running through a war that refuses to end.

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!