Menu
vehicles parked on road
France Ben-Gvir ban

France Bans Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir, Urges EU-Wide Sanctions

Trending • 52 minutes ago6 min read

T

Updated May 24, 2026

France on Saturday formally barred Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir from entering its territory, an extraordinary diplomatic rebuke aimed at a sitting cabinet member of a country with which Paris maintains full diplomatic relations. The announcement, made by Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot, followed a week of widening European outrage over a video in which Mr. Ben-Gvir taunted bound and kneeling activists detained from a Gaza-bound aid convoy.

"From today, Itamar Ben-Gvir is banned from entering French territory," Mr. Barrot said in a statement, citing the minister's "reprehensible actions towards French and European citizens" who had been aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla. He added that Paris would push for European Union-wide measures against the minister, saying France "cannot tolerate French nationals being threatened, intimidated, or brutalized in this way, especially by a public official."

The move makes France the second European Union member state to slap a personal entry ban on Mr. Ben-Gvir within days, after Poland imposed a five-year prohibition earlier in the week. It also deepens a rift between Israel's far-right governing coalition and the bloc of Western governments that have backed Israel's broader security posture but increasingly distanced themselves from the rhetoric and conduct of its most hardline ministers.

The video that triggered the rupture

The diplomatic crisis began on May 19, when Mr. Ben-Gvir posted footage from the port of Ashdod, where Israeli forces had brought roughly 430 activists detained the previous day from some 50 vessels that made up the Global Sumud Flotilla. The convoy, which set out from Turkey, had attempted to breach Israel's maritime blockade of the Gaza Strip with humanitarian supplies.

In the clip, dozens of detainees are seen kneeling on the asphalt with their hands zip-tied behind their backs and their foreheads pressed to the ground. Mr. Ben-Gvir, waving a large Israeli flag, walks among them and shouts, "Welcome to Israel! We own this place." When one activist calls out "Free, free Palestine," the minister tells her in Hebrew, "Shut up!" before forcing her head down. A separate clip captures him singing over Israel's national anthem as detainees remain prostrate.

The footage spread rapidly on social media and prompted ten Western capitals - including France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Poland - to summon Israel's ambassadors or top diplomats. The United Kingdom, while not a member of the EU, also called in Israel's most senior representative in London over what its Foreign Office described as an "inflammatory video."

A coordinated push for EU sanctions

Mr. Barrot framed the entry ban as a first step rather than an endpoint, urging Brussels to align around joint measures. Italy quickly endorsed the call, with Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani formally requesting that the European Council place Mr. Ben-Gvir on the bloc's restrictive-measures list. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said Madrid would push the EU to follow Spain's lead in barring the minister.

If adopted, the measures would mark the first time the European Union has sanctioned a sitting Israeli cabinet minister. Canada has already imposed a unilateral asset freeze and travel ban on Mr. Ben-Gvir, citing what Ottawa described as repeated incitement of violence against Palestinians.

Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski, announcing Warsaw's earlier ban, was blunt in his framing: "In the democratic world we do not abuse and gloat over people in custody." His comments set the tone for the European response that followed.

A divided Israeli reaction

Inside Israel, the video produced an unusual rebuke of Mr. Ben-Gvir from senior figures within his own government. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, while defending Israel's right to halt what he called a "malicious scheme" to support Hamas, said the minister's conduct was "not in line with Israel's values and norms" and ordered the swift deportation of detainees still held at Ashdod.

Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar went further, telling Mr. Ben-Gvir in a public statement that "you knowingly caused harm to our state in this disgraceful display." Israel's ambassador to the United States, Yechiel Leiter, called the episode "reckless grandstanding," and unnamed Israel Defense Forces officials briefed local media that Mr. Ben-Gvir had "exploited his position to get attention."

The Israel Prison Service denied separate allegations of mistreatment raised by flotilla organizers, which include reports of strip searches and at least 15 cases of alleged sexual abuse. The service said detainees had been held "in accordance with the law, with full regard for their basic rights." Several of the claims have not been independently verified.

Mr. Ben-Gvir himself has not publicly responded to the French ban. He has previously dismissed European criticism of his conduct as interference in Israeli sovereignty and has framed protest flotillas as security threats rather than humanitarian missions.

Paris and Jerusalem: a relationship under strain

The ban marks one of the lowest points in a relationship that had already cooled markedly under President Emmanuel Macron. France in recent months has hardened its rhetoric on the conduct of Israel's war in Gaza, suspended select arms-related exports, and signaled openness to recognition of a Palestinian state at a planned international conference.

French officials have repeatedly singled out Mr. Ben-Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich as figures whose statements about settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank and the displacement of Palestinians are incompatible with international law. Saturday's announcement converts that political distancing into a concrete legal measure for the first time.

What the ban does - and does not - do

The French entry ban applies personally to Mr. Ben-Gvir and does not affect diplomatic ties with Israel, embassy operations, or ongoing security cooperation. Practical implications include:

  • Mr. Ben-Gvir cannot travel to France for official meetings, transit, or private visits while the ban remains in force.
  • The measure does not freeze assets or impose financial penalties; broader sanctions would require EU-level agreement.
  • It places diplomatic pressure on other EU capitals - notably Berlin, which has so far been more cautious - to align with the Franco-Italian-Spanish position.

A widening European pattern

The Ben-Gvir case is part of a broader recalibration of European policy toward Israeli officials viewed as outliers. Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Norway last year imposed individual sanctions on Mr. Ben-Gvir and Mr. Smotrich, citing incitement to violence against Palestinians. The European Union has so far stopped short of joining those measures, despite repeated calls from member states including Ireland, Spain and Belgium.

Whether France's move tips that balance will depend in part on whether Berlin and a handful of central European capitals shift their positions in the coming weeks. EU foreign ministers are scheduled to meet in Brussels next month, where the question of personal sanctions against Israeli ministers is expected to feature on the agenda.

For now, the immediate diplomatic message from Paris is unambiguous. By naming a sitting Israeli minister as unwelcome on French soil, the Macron government has signaled that the threshold for tolerating conduct it deems incompatible with European values has, in this case, been crossed.

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!