China Coal Mine Blast Kills 82 in Worst Disaster in Over a Decade
Trending • 52 minutes ago • 6 min read
Updated May 24, 2026
The first carbon monoxide alarm sounded at the Liushenyu colliery in Qinyuan county shortly before dusk on Friday. Less than an hour later, at 7:29 p.m. local time, a gas explosion ripped through the tunnels nearly half a kilometer beneath the wooded ridges of Shanxi province's Taihang Mountains, trapping 247 miners on the night shift. By Saturday evening, regional officials had confirmed at least 82 dead, with two workers still missing and more than 120 in hospital beds across Changzhi city — two of them in critical condition.
It is the deadliest accident in a Chinese coal mine in more than a decade, surpassing every fatal incident since the 2009 Heilongjiang disaster that killed 108. State broadcaster CCTV initially reported 90 fatalities; provincial authorities later revised the figure to 82, blaming what one official called the "chaotic" hours after the blast, when the mine operator first provided an inaccurate worker count.
What Happened Beneath Qinyuan County
The Liushenyu mine, roughly 520 kilometers (320 miles) southwest of Beijing, is operated by Shanxi Tongzhou Group Liushenyu Coal Industry, a subsidiary of the Shanxi Tongzhou Coal & Coke Group with an annual production capacity of 1.2 million tons. Investigators say underground sensors registered carbon monoxide levels that "exceeded limits" in the minutes before the detonation — a classic precursor to a methane ignition in a gassy seam.
Wang Yong, a miner who escaped through a secondary shaft, described the moment the air turned lethal in an interview broadcast on state television. "I told people to run," he said. "As I ran, I saw people being choked by the smoke. People were collapsing from the smoke, and then I blacked out too."
By dawn on Saturday, 201 of the 247 miners on shift had been brought to the surface. Thirty-five were treated at the scene and sent home. The remainder filled wards in Changzhi, where families gathered behind a cordon of police tape, holding photographs of sons, brothers and husbands who had gone underground the night before.
A Rescue Hampered by Bad Maps
The Ministry of Emergency Management deployed 345 personnel across six specialist teams, with between 400 and 500 rescuers rotating through the shafts. Their work has been complicated by two problems that safety researchers have warned about for years: the mine's official blueprints did not match the actual layout of its galleries, and several GPS trackers carried by miners failed to transmit after the blast.
"The structural diagrams provided by the company do not correspond to the underground reality," a senior rescue commander told reporters at the staging area. Teams have been forced to search every tunnel by hand beneath sections that flooded during firefighting. A State Council investigation team — the highest level of inquiry that can be ordered short of a criminal prosecution — has been dispatched from Beijing, with a mandate the central government described as "rigorous and uncompromising."
A Mine That Was Already on a Watchlist
The Liushenyu colliery was not an anonymous operator. In 2024, China's National Mine Safety Administration placed it on a published list of 1,128 mines cited for "severe safety hazards," specifically flagging its "high gas content." Methane buildup in unventilated workings is the most common trigger of catastrophic underground explosions, and mines on the gas-content list are required to install additional sensors, increase ventilation, and submit to more frequent inspections.
Whether those measures were properly implemented at Liushenyu is now the central question of the federal probe. Local authorities have so far described "serious violations" by the operator without specifying their nature. Executives of the Shanxi Tongzhou Group Liushenyu Coal Industry have been detained, according to a Saturday statement from the Changzhi public security bureau.
Beijing Responds With a Familiar Playbook
President Xi Jinping issued an unusually direct statement within hours of the blast, ordering an "all-out rescue" and demanding a "thorough investigation into its cause, with accountability pursued in accordance with the law." Premier Li Qiang followed with instructions for the "timely release of information" and "rigorous accountability" — language that in past disasters has signaled prosecutions of mine managers and the dismissal of local officials.
The political stakes are unusually high. Shanxi produces roughly a quarter of China's coal, and Changzhi is one of the country's most important mining cities. A senior failure on this scale, in a region run by officials Beijing has spent years vetting, is the kind of incident the central government typically meets with public punishments and a fresh wave of inspections.
The Broader Picture: Safer, but Still Deadly
For all the horror of Friday's blast, it occurred against a backdrop of decades-long improvement. Chinese coal mine deaths peaked at nearly 7,000 a year in the early 2000s and have fallen sharply since, the result of three overlapping forces:
- Consolidation of thousands of small "township and village" pits into larger state-controlled groups
- The creation in 2018 of an independent National Mine Safety Administration with full ministerial rank
- Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign, which academic studies have linked to measurable drops in mine fatality rates in provinces where the crackdown reached deepest into local government
Yet the trendline has not been straight. In February 2023, an open-pit collapse in Inner Mongolia killed 53 workers. A January 2024 fire in Henan province killed 16. Independent researchers have long argued that official statistics understate the true toll because some mine owners falsify death counts to evade penalties, and the Liushenyu disaster — where the operator's initial casualty figures had to be publicly corrected — will revive those concerns.
What Comes Next
The immediate task is grim: account for the two missing miners, stabilize the dozens still hospitalized, and recover the dead. Funerals are expected to begin within days in the villages scattered through Qinyuan county, many of which have supplied workers to the Liushenyu pit for two generations.
The longer reckoning will play out in Beijing. State Council investigators are expected to publish a preliminary report within weeks, and a fuller accounting — including any criminal charges against mine executives — typically follows within several months. Industry analysts also expect a fresh wave of suspensions at other mines on the 2024 high-gas watchlist, a familiar pattern after major disasters.
For the families gathered outside Changzhi's hospitals on Sunday, the politics are remote. They are waiting, as Chinese mining families have waited for a century, for a name to be read aloud, and for an answer to the question that has shadowed the country's coal industry since long before it became the world's largest: how many more times will the alarms sound before something finally changes?
Sources
This article was researched using the following sources to ensure accuracy and reliability:
- 1.Deadliest coal mine explosion in China in years kills at least 82 people (NPR)
- 2.82 killed in China's worst coal mine accident for more than a decade (South China Morning Post)
- 3.China's worst coal mining blast in over a decade kills 82 (CNN)
- 4.Coal mine explosion in China kills 90 people, state media say (CBS News)
- 5.2026 Liushenyu coal mine explosion (Wikipedia)
- 6.Death toll jumps to at least 82 in China coal mine blast (The Japan Times)
- 7.Safety Challenges in China's Coal Mining Industry (Jamestown Foundation)