Menu
Satellite orbiting earth with clouds below
Blue Origin

Blue Origin Clears New Glenn for Return to Flight After NG-3 Failure

Trending • 1 hour ago7 min read

T

Updated May 24, 2026

The 320-foot New Glenn rocket has not flown since a clear Sunday morning in April, when one of its upper-stage engines quietly faltered in the dark above the Atlantic and stranded a $50 million satellite in a useless orbit. On Friday, May 22, that grounding ended. Blue Origin closed its investigation into the NG-3 mission failure, the Federal Aviation Administration accepted the final mishap report, and Jeff Bezos's launch company is once again clear to fly the largest rocket in its fleet.

The investigation lands on a culprit that is both technically narrow and operationally embarrassing for a vehicle Blue Origin spent more than a decade developing. A cryogenic leak inside the upper stage froze a hydraulic line, the FAA said in its closure statement, triggering a thrust anomaly on one of the two BE-3U engines during the second of the stage's vacuum burns. The result was a payload deployed too low to survive.

What Went Wrong 75 Miles Above the Atlantic

NG-3 lifted off from Launch Complex 36 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station on April 19, the third flight of New Glenn and only its second customer mission. The reused first stage performed exactly as advertised. The booster, which had flown once before, separated cleanly and powered itself down to a precision landing on Blue Origin's recovery vessel Jacklyn in the Atlantic, a feat the company had achieved only once previously.

From there the mission unraveled. The GS2 upper stage completed its first burn to a transfer orbit without incident. But before the second burn, telemetry showed the stage drifting outside its normal thermal envelope. When the BE-3U pair relit for the orbital insertion, one engine failed to ramp to full thrust. The stage burned for the planned duration but produced less velocity than it needed, leaving AST SpaceMobile's BlueBird 7 satellite in an orbit too shallow to circularize.

By the following morning, the upper stage and its 2,400-square-foot phased-array antenna had reentered Earth's atmosphere and burned up. AST SpaceMobile, the Texas-based operator building a direct-to-smartphone broadband constellation, said the satellite was unrecoverable. Insurance is expected to cover the financial loss, but the operational blow to a constellation already racing competitors is harder to quantify.

A Cryogenic Leak, a Frozen Line, and a Starved Engine

Blue Origin's own technical summary, released alongside the FAA closure, is more granular than the agency's one-sentence verdict. "Prior to our second GS2 burn, we experienced an off-nominal thermal condition, and, as a result, one of the BE-3U engines didn't achieve full thrust to reach our target orbit," the company wrote.

Engineers traced the off-nominal thermal condition to liquid hydrogen leaking from a fitting inside the engine bay. The cryogen, at roughly minus 423 degrees Fahrenheit, chilled a nearby hydraulic line responsible for actuating one engine's thrust vector and propellant valves. By the time the second burn was commanded, the hydraulic fluid had thickened into something closer to slush, the valves did not open fully, and the engine could not develop rated thrust. Its partner BE-3U fired normally, which is why the stage flew a roughly correct profile but came up short on energy.

The fix, according to the investigation, falls into nine corrective actions covering hardware design, manufacturing, inspection and flight rules. Neither Blue Origin nor the FAA published the full list, citing proprietary information, but the company has said the next New Glenn upper stage will receive additional thermal isolation around the hydraulic system and reworked seals at the suspect fittings. Acceptance testing on the ground will also include a longer cold-soak before vacuum burns.

FAA Sign-Off and the Path Back to the Pad

The FAA's Office of Commercial Space Transportation, known as AST, oversaw the Blue Origin-led investigation under the standard mishap process that follows any commercial launch failure resulting in lost property or threatened public safety. The agency confirmed on Friday that it had closed the inquiry and would verify implementation of each corrective action before authorizing the next mission.

That verification step is the gate that still stands between New Glenn and its return to flight. Blue Origin executives have signaled they expect to clear it within weeks, not months. Chief Executive Dave Limp posted video this week of a new GS2 stage being mated to a booster inside the company's Florida integration facility, with the caption "Next stop integrated hotfire." A successful hotfire would set up a launch attempt before the end of summer, though Blue Origin has not publicly named the next payload.

AST SpaceMobile Stays the Course

For AST SpaceMobile, the loss of BlueBird 7 was a setback but not, the company insists, a strategic blow. "This kind of anomaly is not uncommon early in programs," said Scott Wisniewski, the operator's chief strategy officer, in remarks to investors. He described Blue Origin's response as transparent and said the satellite operator remained committed to flying additional BlueBirds on New Glenn alongside missions booked on SpaceX and Indian rockets.

The company is competing with SpaceX's Starlink Direct-to-Cell service and a growing field of mobile-network partnerships to deliver broadband directly to unmodified smartphones. Each lost satellite tightens the schedule. AST has told regulators it wants at least 45 to 60 BlueBirds in orbit by late 2027 to deliver continuous coverage over the United States, Europe and Japan. NG-3 was meant to add the seventh.

Stakes for Artemis and the Wider Industry

The corrective-action campaign also matters for NASA. New Glenn is slated to loft Blue Origin's first uncrewed Blue Moon lunar lander on a demonstration flight later this year, an essential precursor to the Artemis V human landing mission. NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman, speaking at a Kennedy Space Center event earlier this month, said he was confident the company would recover. "Every new rocket has a learning curve," he said. "What matters is how quickly and how rigorously the team works the problem. From what I have seen, Blue Origin is doing exactly that."

Rivals are watching closely. SpaceX, which dominates the heavy-lift market with its Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy and is pushing Starship toward operational status, has booked nearly every major commercial geostationary contract of the last 18 months. United Launch Alliance, whose Vulcan rocket competes for the same national-security missions Blue Origin wants, has used the New Glenn pause to lobby Space Force customers on reliability. A clean return to flight by Blue Origin would blunt that argument quickly.

What to Watch Next

The next several weeks will reveal whether Blue Origin can convert a closed investigation into a flying rocket. Key milestones include FAA sign-off on each of the nine corrective actions, a full-duration hotfire of the new GS2 stage, and the rollout of a New Glenn to LC-36 for a wet dress rehearsal. The company has not committed to a launch date, but industry analysts expect an attempt in August or early September, followed in short order by the Blue Moon demonstration.

If those flights succeed, the cryogenic leak that froze a hydraulic line above the Atlantic will be remembered as the kind of expensive but instructive failure that defines almost every new launch program. If they do not, the questions will get harder, and the competitive ground that New Glenn was built to claim will keep slipping toward Hawthorne.

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!